Truckloads of Bad News for Scientists

18 May 2026 18:18 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

NZAS Press Release - read here or find the PDF on our releases page


“Truckloads of bad news have piled up for scientists this month, and we’re not expecting any good news as Budget day approaches,” says New Zealand Association of Scientists (NZAS) Co-President Troy Baisden. 

Co-President Lucy Stewart says, “The government had been trying to create a rosy picture by pointing to private sector Research and Development (R&D). But data into 2025 in StatsNZ’s latest survey[1] shows that business spending on R&D has flatlined and employment in R&D has dropped 5 – 10% in a single year. This shows a big loss of confidence in investing in R&D, and will almost certainly be worse when the survey data into 2026 becomes available.”

Baisden adds, “For those in research institutions dependent on government funding, applicants to the Marsden fund[2]will be staring in shock at letters received last week saying that 84% of applicants didn’t make it past the first round. That means less than one in twelve applications will be funded after the final round. That’s a big drop which suggests we’ve crossed into the realm where, on average, researchers and institutions will be spending as much or more on applying than comes back in funding.”

“That’s bad enough for senior researchers, but the smaller Fast Start grants designed to support early career researchers, the success rate through to the final round has tanked from 24% to 17%, also implying only 8% will be funded.”

Stewart points out, “Scientists are losing hope as these lacklustre reforms show little understanding of the long-term effects of the changes being made. A clear pathway for reform was offered by the Science System Advisory Group, but the cherry-picking continues. The strategy behind the reforms remains unclear.”

Baisden says, “We’re particularly worried that the development of Research Funding New Zealand will not simplify the system as intended. Instead, it will take shortcuts, with a structure that enables ministers and the ministry to arrive at their desired outcomes more quickly and cheaply, while fencing inconvenient truths outside of funding. Shortcuts are a mistake, and we’re heading toward losing both the expertise and independence needed to administrate public science investment. 

“This week, Pillar Advisory Groups have been named – with some great people and experience included. But these bodies contain at least 80% insiders, including many Chief Science Advisors (CSA) from Ministries and Departments plus commercial leaders. Historically the CSA roles have focussed on providing trusted advice, while avoiding conflicts of interests associated with also controlling funding. At the same time, areas that really matter to our nation, like biodiversity and geological hazards, are represented by a single person out of 35.

Moreover, on Thursday we saw a highly confusing announcement about science funding being moved into a Transition Research Fund. The size of the fund initially announced made it look like it was a quarter of the size of the funds it replaces. We’ve been assured that’s not intended to be the case, but will be chasing the numbers. Updates to web pages[3] still imply there will be significant cuts.” 

Stewart points out, “In light of these issues, we’ve taken the step of providing a Briefing to the Incoming Minister (BIM), which clarifies how key themes in the reform can be improved. It begins justifying a better science system and investment, and ends with four narrative strategies that define success. Our graphic provides a much better sense of the focal points that must be created between horizontal layers and vertical pillars representing our existing strengths. It emphasises the importance of the foundations and workforce we’re neglecting and the need for agility in new areas.”

“We need structures and investment that will keep us safe and healthy while enabling our economy to perform like peer nations. Further cuts, shortcuts and uncertainty will cause lasting damage.”


[1] https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/research-and-development-survey-2025/

[2] https://www.royalsociety.org.nz/news/marsden-fund-preliminary-proposals-for-2026

[3]https://www.mbie.govt.nz/science-and-technology/science-and-innovation/funding-information-and-opportunities/investment-funds/transition-research-fund-2027 For comparison, after recent cuts the combination of Marsden, Endeavour and Talent Funding is currently $341m per annum.

© 2018 NZAS Disclaimer Sitemap

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software